• Sun. Jun 13th, 2021

Top in Africa

Africa's Trending Topics


ByJuma Chai

Nov 13, 2019


– The teachers’ union accused the exam council of exposing invigilators and candidates to harmful xylene chemical

– The chemical was used during Chemistry paper three practicals

Police and education stakeholders in Nakuru county are investigating circumstances under which a Barina Secondary School candidate died after developing breathing problems after the 2019 KCSE Chemistry practical.Arcording to the victims fatherĀ  Victor Kiptoo Ng’eno fell ill on the evening of Friday, November 8, after finalising his Chemistry practicals in the ongoing Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) exam.

There were early complains and claims from teachers that several teachers and candidates were exposed to xylene

According to his father David Ng’eno who spoke to Citizen TV, Kiptoo complained of fatigue and nausea when he returned home at around 4 pm these together with vomiting are symptoms of Xylene poisoning a chemical that was used during the practical.

He also confirmed his son had been diagnosed with pneumonia in September 2019 and he bought him some few tablets which he swallowed on the fateful day. Candidates at Starehe Boys’ Centre during past national exams.

He told me he was generally weak and I asked him to take ascoril drugs which I bought him earlier on because he had few signs of pneumonia. He did not enjoy his supper and vomited thereafter,”said Ng’eno. Though he vomited later after supper, he continued taking the drugs but his condition did not change throughout the entire week until Monday,


Juma Chai

A writer dedicated to providing the world with the best insights into Africa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *