we mostly believe that super-foods are imported from other continents into Africa. but below is a list of the top ten super foods that are actually grown in Africa.
- Green tea:
Green tea production has been synonymous with china and Japan. But this healthy drink is a product of tea made by un-fermented tea leaves. Tea is grown in several countries such as the highlands of Kenya and Ethiopia.
The health benefits of green tea include:
- It has amino acid L-theanine: this chemical is said to reduce anxiety by increasing the activities of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA
- Green tea increases the fat burning ability of the body by increasing energy expenditure by about 4%.
- Green tea is an excellent source of powerful antioxidants, so it makes sense that it could reduce your risk of cancer, which it appears to do:
- Breast cancer: A meta-analysis of observational studies found that women who drank the most green tea had a 20-30% lower risk of developing breast cancer, the most common cancer in women
- Prostate cancer: One study found that men drinking green tea had a 48% lower risk of developing prostate cancer, which is the most common cancer in men .
- Colorectal cancer: An analysis of 29 studies showed that those drinking green tea were up to 42% less likely to develop colorectal cancer.
- It reduces the risk of contracting Cardiovascular diseases that including heart diseases and stroke which are said to be the biggest causes of death in the world
- Kefir and yoghurt.
Yoghurt is a product of milk. It is made by bacterial fermentation of milk. Milk can be found all over Africa since most African tribes depend on cattle for their livelihoods.
The health benefits of yoghurt include:
- It helps in weight loss. By simply replacing an unhealthy snack with yoghurt one is able to manage their weight.
- It contains potassium which helps eradicate excess of sodium from our bodies. In fact, a recent study suggested that low fat dairy helped them keep BP issues at bay.
- It contains calciul which helps in strong bone fomartion
4. Olive oil
9. The neem tree
10. Aloe vera.