President Uhuru Kenyatta has announced that Kenya has recorded 31 new cases raising the total to 1192.
We have so far tested 57,640 samples of which 1192 persons have tested positive and lost 50 Kenyans to this disease.
Uhuru announced this on Saturday in State House.
“Coronavirus will undermine our efforts to revitalize the economy,” He said.
He further said that a time will come when we shall open Kenya, when that time comes, responsibility will be yours.
“I have told my Cabinet Secretaries that we cannot stay in lockdown forever. But if we open up the country by lifting the restrictions and the virus continues to spread, it will be our fault for not taking the precautions outlined,” he said.
“If we follow the government measures, we shall rise.. we shall overcome… .”
Uhuru said that if Kenyans stay the course, we shall overcome the challenges.
“Let us remain true to our countries.We know that many Kenyans are hurting but we do not have a choice but ensure that we deal with this disease,” he said.
On Friday, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe said seven health workers have been trained in the counties.
“This will now cascade downwards. Over 11,000 have gone through training,” Kagwe said.
Kagwe said the ministry will provide PPEs for use by workers, adding that Kenya will no longer import the equipment.
He said to keep the numbers low, Kenyans must adhere to measures as directed by the government.
The ministry also projected that the peak of infections in the country is expected to be around August and September, when Kenyans are expected to see at least 200 cases recorded in a day.